Business Messaging

Business Messaging: Everything You Need to Know

Business Messaging apps: What Do they Mean for Your Business?

In the simplest terms, business messaging is a way for businesses to communicate with each other and their customers. This can include anything from notifications about an order to delivery updates or questions about a product or service. Business messaging can be a valuable tool for businesses of all sizes. It can help you keep your customers informed and updated on your products or services, and it can also help you to build better relationships with your customers.


Additionally, business messaging can help you to improve your communication with your team and with other businesses. If you’re looking for a way to improve communication within your business, or if you’re looking for a way to better communicate with your customers, business messaging may be the solution you’re looking for.


Business Messaging and How it is Different from Chat

Business messaging is a term often used to describe the use of chatbots and other automated messaging tools for business purposes. While the terms are sometimes used interchangeably, chatbots and other automated messaging tools are typically used for more informal communication, such as customer support or marketing, while business messaging is more often used for more formal communication, such as between employees or between a customer and a business.


  • Chat: This technology entails a one-to-one conversation that takes place in real time (synchronous) with a fixed beginning and end, requiring both the sender and receiver to be connected for the duration of the interaction. Synchronous chat has struggled to deliver on the promise of cost savings and deflection of voice contacts, primarily because:
    • Chat is website-centric. Our research shows that the website typically only accounts for 25% of service interactions, while other touchpoints such as mobile apps, direct interactions from eBills, and other channels make up the other 75%.
    • Live chat keeps both the customer and agent captive for a set timeframe. This forces the consumer to take time out of their day to respond, typically increasing handle time by 20-30% compared to the voice channel.
    • Chat impacts customer experience (CX) scores due to shorter wait times than voice channel.
    • Managing the staffing demands needed to handle an influx of chats and reduce wait times can be difficult.


  • Business messaging: Messaging addresses all of these challenges by using asynchronous communication protocols—meaning the interaction isn’t constrained to a real-time, two-way exchange. Instead, asynchronous technology allows message buffering, which lets the sender do other things as soon as a message is sent. For customers, this means they can start, pause, and resume a conversation at their convenience, and around their life—giving them back their time and putting them in control. Asynchronous messaging also provides a better experience for complex issues requiring more than one sitting or agent to fix. For agents, it means they can handle multiple conversations at once.


Types of asynchronous communication:

  • Text messaging: Customers connect with the brand using traditional SMS, MMS, and the more recent RCS technology.
  • Business messaging: Customers connect with the brand using consumer messenger applications such as Facebook Messenger, Apple Messages for Business, Google Business Messages, WhatsApp, or WeChat. These apps offer rich native functionalities such as carousels, quick replies, calendar integration, and emoticons. Unlike SMS, business messaging does not impose any character limits.


Advantages of business messaging:

  • Allows for continuous, long-lived conversations.
  • Gives the customer full control over the timing and pace of the conversation for total convenience.
  • Available 24/7/365.
  • Allows you to pick up the conversation from where it was last left—no more starting over every time.
  • Enables agents to handle more conversations per hour (concurrency of five to eight).
  • Allows agents to focus on accuracy and responding completely rather than on speed.
  • Helps manage contact center spikes by distributing volume evenly instead of overstaffing.
Learn More About Asynchronous Messaging

Asynchronous Business Messaging: Watch